Saturday, June 14, 2014

Perspective - Weddings and Flowers

I honestly think paying over $1000 for something that is going to die in a few days is cray cray. Well, due to my wedding being near Christmas all florists wanted to charge an additional %15 on top of the already high price of flowers. All I wanted was 4 rose bouquets, some single roses for lapels, a flower girl basket and some single roses to decorate the wedding table. But just those things cost the price of a new wardrobe. I'm a realist and I understand that people charge extra when it comes to weddings and that flowers are expensive but for something that is just going to be held for maybe an hour then disregarded on a far table I am not happy to pay a large amount of money for. Who goes and smells the bouquets or the table flowers, NO ONE, they are purely there just for visual appeal. So I decided screw it, I would rather make my own and pay 1/8 of the price. All I needed was the visual appeal, so I chose to use foam roses. Yes my bridesmaid turned their noses up at the idea of fake flowers, but hey all up we spent around $12 grand on our wedding, whereas they spent easily near $50 grand. The money we saved has gone towards amazing holidays and being able to buy our first home. When it comes to weddings perspective is something easily lost and forgotten. What would you choose: spending $1000 on flowers that will wilt and decay in a few days or a weekend holiday, where flights, accommodation, food and spending money could all be paid for. Yep I chose the holidays, i would rather spend the $$ on creating more beautiful memories than just living in one day.

No comments: